Cell DNA’s Max for Live Devices

We’ve seen a lot of iterations with mixing realtime audio and visuals in the past ten years. Our controllers for one are built as generic  “instruments” for media mixing, and there are many different uses from Live to Resolume. The marriage of visualist and musician in one software package (or one person) hasn’t really materialized on a large scale yet. Up to this point our own VJ software Cell and Cell DNA work well with our controllers and Live, but we wanted to take it a step further and make them work well in Live.
We’ve built a suite of Max for Live devices to go between Ableton Live and CellDNA video software that can expand your musical ideas into the visual realm. CellDNA VJ software is incredibly easy to use, with a big grid of 64 clips (with 32 presets, that means over 2000 clips to play with!), dozens of OpenGL effects, live camera input, live video sampling, recording, and is even extensible with Max 5 patches. With these devices you can totally control your visuals within Live, and let your music completely control the visuals.

With Livid CellDNA and our Max For Live devices, you can turn Ableton Live into your own automatic VJ.

• Use your controller in Live to trigger video and effect
  • Link audio clips to video clips
  • Use MIDI clips to sequence videos
  • Use audio from your tracks to play clips and control visual effects.
  • Collaborate with your VJ over a network
  • Control multiple computers for multiple screens.
Cell DNA’s Max for Live devices are free and can be downloaded from the downloads section of lividinstruments.com. If you don’t already own CellDNA, you can install and try the demo on your computer. If you are ready to dive in and learn all about it, take a look at the extensive tutorial on our vimeo page.
We’re also offering a special right now on CellDNA to celebrate this release – use the coupon “maxfordna” when checking out from our online store.

Tags - , , , ,

8 Responses to “Cell DNA’s Max for Live Devices”

1. Andreas says:

Hi,

where can I download those max4live patches. I do not find them on the livid page!!!:-(

Great Work

Bye

Andreas

2. hervé says:

hi
    great news, i haven’t got m4l but it’s for soon…
    I’m thinking about buying a new computer to run such application,music and video.
    Would you give me some advise (ram,hardrive ssd ?) to have a good workflow ? (around 1500 $)
    Which mac on the video ?

thanks and congratulation for your work

hervé

• Jay says:

If I had any choice I’d go with the new MacBooks. But really any newer computer with a decent video card (dedicated video card that is!) should do the trick.

3. Ben says:

Excellent work guys. This is a really exciting development and exactly the kind of thing I hoped for when I read about Live/Max integration. Viva la revolution!

4. Harald says:

Now this looks interesting! Thank you for sharing this for free! You really are contributing to the music scene

5. Jason says:

Love it! But maybe I’m not finding a couple of things because it’s so new to me. I don’t see the More_Controls – I use Saturation and Scrub all the time. Are those accessible? Also, I’ve been doing something similar over the IAC Bus and I’ve been using MIDI Ctrl value curves to automate turning the effect knobs. Any easy way to do this? Thanks a lot, it really is great.

6. Jason says:

Jason again – Also, trying to assign clips to pads seems to neuter my Launchpad. Ideally, it would be great if hitting a button to trigger a clip also started a movie. As it is, if I try to assign a movie trigger with a pad, I can’t use that pad to trigger a clip. Again, I just got this. I’ve read the wiki and watched the movies – is there somewhere else I can find documentation.